Friday, March 13, 2009

The Dethinator

Well guys, I guess Rob, Andrew Lum, Andrew Foster, Alan and myself are the only ones going to Miami? NO ONE HAS TOLD ME WHEN THEY ARE GOING! I NEED TO KNOW OR YOU WILL NOT GO. NO EXCEPTIONS. These deadlines are rapidly approaching, and Nola needs to know our plans so that we can make arrangements. If I get no response from you by tuesday, no one except the people who have responded will go. I will not go out of my way to ask you what your plans are. I want all of you to experience the competition first-hand, but I also want you to grow up and start being responsible for yourself. This is not just another "I kinda said I was going... he'll know I'm going" situation. I need a definite answer. ASAP.

I also registered the 15 pounder as THE DETHINATOR for San Francisco.

And as far as the fifteen pounder goes, I owe a huge thank you to Alan and Ben for coming out and helping almost every day I've been working on this thing. It's proving to be a challenge. I think we're going to end up using one of the battlepacks from D.O. instead of the individual cells... it's SOOOO much lighter, and 12V and already assembled... it just makes things easier. And it fits. Lightening this beast is proving to be a disheartening task. It refuses to make weight. The baseplate, 4 motors, drive motors, wheels, hardware, shell, shaft w/ mount, electronics and new steel ring are 13.5 lbs. The battery pack weighs 1.35 lbs, giving us a grand total of 14.85 lbs. The only problem is there is NO CHANCE we can compete with 4 motors. We need six (at least!), and they weigh .55 lbs each, putting us at almost 16 lbs.

I spun (or tried to spin) the shell with the spring loaded runner bearings and four motors, and it would spin for about two seconds and stop. The speed controllers have a maximum current cutoff, and we reached it. Every time. I took the runners out (because they actually have a fair amount of drag), and the shell spun for about 5 seconds, then stopped. Then, I slowly, slowly brought up the throttle, and got the shell to start spinning pretty well, but I backed off because it was precariously screwed onto a 2x8 clamped in the small vice, and was vibrating quite a bit. I still don't know if I can spin the shell with all four runners in or not, so I'll do some more testing on Saturday. Eddie will be coming down Saturday to work on his bot, so if you want to see him, come on out - I just have to let you know that it isn't going to be a machining-fest where everyone is doing stuff all the time. There's not that much left to do, but at the same time, there's a LOT left to do. If you know what I mean... I need to wire the whole thing, and we need to test and lighten and stuff, but there isn't going to be a whole lot for everyone to DO. If you just want to come and watch the process and learn, then that's great. If you're going to be bored and cause trouble, don't bother coming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I'm Jeff and I was the President of Ransom Everglades Robotics & Engineering in X-Contamination's heyday.

My old team will be attending the Youth Fair competition with at least one robot that I know of. If you should ever need help when you're there, I'm sure if they're able they would be willing to help in any way possible. I don't know if they're still in the habit of dragging half their tools along to competition, but in any case they're well equipped for just about anything you may need.

Also, I wanted to share a link: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp
This is where they get a lot of their electronics. The prices are really good, particularly for the brushless motors & ESCs they use for their weapons.

Keep up the good work!

Alan Dreher said...

Ok. I may be able to make it to the Saturday build after SAT after all. See you there around 2:00 PM

Also, I will get the signed Permission Slip for Miami in to you tomorrow.

But tomorrow should be fun... Basically will be us sitting around staring at it for 6 hours going "what can we lighten?"

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have my parents fill out the permission slip and i'll give it to you on Monday. I am going to Miami.

Anonymous said...

My dad & I are going to drive to Miami the 28th & stay at our own hotel. So I guess we need the address of the place where the competition is.

robert said...

Darn I wanted to come, but the SAT led me to taking a 4 hour nap afterward... sorry =(